Police Complaints

Need to File a Complaint?

If you have experienced racial profiling, harassment, excessive force, false arrest, or other misconduct, here are a few ways you can take action. View the resources below for more information.

Image showing the back of a young african american woman's t-shirt that reads none of us are free until all of us are free

General Resources

  • Call the Office of Police Complaints’ 24-hour hotline at (866) 588-0569
  • Within 90 days, file a complaint with the Office of Police Complaints
  • Within 6 months, submit a Notice of Claim to the Office of Risk Management, preserving your right to sue
  • Contact the Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, to see if they can provide legal help
  • File a complaint with the Metropolitan Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division
  • Notify the Office of the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia that there has been a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 242 and that you want the officer prosecuted to the fullest extent allowable under law
  • Notify the Public Defender Service, to ensure defense attorneys are notified about the misconduct when that officer testifies against someone else.
  • Get involved with DC Justice Lab and join our community-driven policy reform movement.

Resources for Protestors

Join Our Mailing List